Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Grateful

Today I am grateful for friends that offer to help us an any way we need (we're doing okay!).
Today I am grateful for health insurance.
Today I am grateful for high quality doctors.
Today I am grateful for flexible work schedules.
Today I am grateful for snuggly kitties that are thrilled to have a mama at home.
Today I am grateful that my husband is recovering comfortably from his emergency appendectomy last night.

Last night was a whirlwind. Bryan had been having stomach pains for a day or so, and they were getting worse. We checked into the ER just after 8pm, and by 11pm (after waiting for 2 hours or so to be seen) the on-call surgeon was saying he was "textbook appendicitis" and would be hopefully in surgery by 12am. I think he finally went in about 12:30am, while I fretted (okay, cried - it should be against the law to give a husband informed consent and tell him about 50 times that he "could die" during surgery in front of his 5 months pregnant wife!) in the waiting room and watched episode after episode of Little People.

They came to talk to me at 2am saying the surgery had gone well, but it was more complicated than they expected so his recovery might take a little longer. I was able to see him about 3am, and he was doing well. I waited while they got him settled in his room and chatted with him a little, before I finally headed home and got to bed about 4:30am. Depending on pain control he'll either come home late today or sometime tomorrow. I'm off to see him shortly. I'm so grateful for the extraordinary care he received and how quickly they addressed the situation that we had no idea was so serious. Now he's short one more unnecessary organ and has 3 new holes on his belly. I can't wait to have him back home. It's very quiet without him!

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness how scary! Glad he is doing okay and that he will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how frightening. I'm glad to hear he got great care, he's on the mend, and will be home soon. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete