Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pregnancy makes me sappy

I sit in the chair, watching the nurses and doctors shuffle around him.

In pain, he winces and scoots over on the hospital bed and pats the space he has just made beside him, for me to sit there.

I move next to him.

He closes his eyes as the morphine sets in.

He grabs my hand, because there is a level of comfort that your spouse can provide that no one else can.

As the morphine takes hold, he looks at me and reminds me to “Always take you ovaltine.” I laugh.

It’s quiet for a moment, so he quietly starts singing. He hates quiet. I know the pain is better if he’s singing.

He looks at me and apologizes for keeping me up so late – tells me that I should go home and sleep.

I ask if he’d leave me all alone in the hospital, and he says “Of course not.” I remind him that I’d never leave him alone either.

He looks sad and says he feels badly, since I’m pregnant.

I tell him to stop being silly. I’m fine.

A new nurse walks in, and he tells her that he was tired of me getting all of the attention, so he wanted some of his own. She laughs.

She takes him up to the surgery wing, and tells me where I can wait.

I give him two kisses before they wheel him away and tell him that I love him.

The nurse tells me they will take good care of him.

I love him.

I can’t watch them wheel him away.

There is always a small lingering fear that he won't come back.

A long 2 hours later the doctor comes out.

He's okay, although the surgery was more complicated than they had hoped.

I wait for another hour to see him.

His first words to me? "Hi baby. You should go home and sleep now. I'm sorry for keeping you up."

He's always worried about me.

I love him.

------

He's home now.

Of course, he still doesn't ask anything of me.

"You're pregnant, I should be taking care of you."

Of course, I don't listen.

We all need to be taken care of.

I love him.

I'm happy to have him home.

So is the cat, who won't stop following him around.

They are best buddies.

I guess we both love him :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written post. I'm glad to hear surgery went smoothly and your husband is resting at home. May his recovery be quick!

    ReplyDelete