Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekend fun

After spending many weekends with little down time, we took two weekends "off" and didn't schedule any time with friends or family. It was nice to have more free/lazy time, and it made us excited to go out with friends this past weekend. Bryan has friends that are a husband/wife couple that we always like spending time with. Due to our various schedules, it's hard to get together, and it never happens often enough. We went out with them on Saturday and had a blast.

First we started at their house for some beers and chatting. We then headed to Ethiopian food for dinner. It's unique because they don't give you plates or silverware. Everything is eaten with this spongey crepe-like bread (I should know the name of it, but I don't). Luckily our friends were in the know, so they just ordered this for the table. I don't know the Ethiopian terms, but starting form the yellow stuff near the top it is something yellow (I don't remember what that was!), green beans, lentils, cabbage, kale, and minced beef with cheese. Overall it was very good, although B and I agreed we had expected a bit more spice.

After dinner we headed to Whiskey Soda Lounge for drinks. This is the bar/waiting area for the famous Pok Pok, although we were just stopping by to try out the drink menu. They had some very unique options. Mine is the silver martini glass, which was "Hunny": fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with lime, honey drinking vinegar, and tequila. After the initial sour jolt, it was very good. At $9 a pop I wasn't having more than one though!
Portland is known for its food carts. As if we weren't full enough from dinner and drinks, we decided to add some dessert to to already awesomely gluttonous day. We walked from Whiskey Soda Lounge to the nearby cart pod. On a recommendation from our friends, we tried The Pie Spot.
Apple pie, marionberry pie, and chocolate hazelnut pie. They were clearly made in a muffin tin, so it was the perfect size. Mine was the marionberry one, and it was fantastic! I would definitely go back again.

We then headed back to our friend's house, chatted for a couple more hours and played some cards. We got home and went to bed just before 1:30am, which is crazy late for us. We had such a good time. It's always nice to have couple friends that you click with.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm Ethiopian food is delicious! But yeah, I have no idea what I'm actually eating- just that it tastes good. Sounds like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I agree; you definitely have to schedule some weekends off, otherwise things can kind of spiral out of control. I've never had Ethiopian food, but it looks really good. I thought the Whiskey Soda Lounge sounded really familiar and then when you said "Portland" I realized it's because I've seen it in guidebooks. Although I've stayed in Portland on Division Street . . .twice, I've never made it over there!

    ReplyDelete