
I do not own a smartphone. Admittedly, it's mostly because I'm cheap and don't want to pay $30 per month (plus taxes) on the data plan. However, in recent months I've really started to hate smartphones. The average smartphone user within 10 years of my age seems to care WAY more about what OTHERS are doing (Facebook, game scores, chatting, etc) than what they are currently doing.
Just a few days ago we went to a Portland Trailblazers game. The entire row in front of us was some former frat brothers. At some point during the game, every.single.one of them took out their phone and was browsing Facebook. I'm not talking about during halftime. I mean during the middle of the most intense parts of the game. They spent more time wondering what others were doing rather than enjoying the game and their time with friends.
I've been at concerts where people were watching sports events on their smartphones rather than paying attention to the band. I've been out to eat and seen couples on a date where one (or both) of them texts during the entire meal. I've been on cruises where people use their smartphones until the exact last second that they can. I've seen more people than I can count surfing the web while driving. Twitter is the dumbest invention of late, and I'm astounded to hear how many people are addicted to it. I see Facebook status updates literally every day where someone was supposedly "spending time" with their family. My favorite one lately was the hour by hour update of "Sue Smith is at XYZ restaurant" while on a romantic vacation with her husband. PUT AWAY THE DAMN PHONE AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR HUSBAND.
Why can't people untether themselves and enjoy the moment? Is life that awful that you constantly have to be seeing what other people are doing via your smartphone? God forbid you wait for a table at a restaurant and don't check your email while you're waiting!
I feel grateful that I married a man that barely even checks his phone if you call him. He goes days without remembering to take it to work, and it is often left behind when we go out to eat, to the movies, or just for a walk together. Why? Because we go out to BE TOGETHER. We don't go out to then see what others are doing. I feel sad that people are unable to enjoy being present at what they are doing.
So to all of the addicts out there, try giving up the smartphone whenever you are with other people. You might find you actually have a good time not being reachable (i.e. interrupted) every 5 minutes. Trust me...the world will be a better place if you keep your 140 characters to yourself. Better yet, use those characters to tell your friends and family how much you like spending uninterrupted time with them. Then follow through and leave your smartphone at home. They will thank you for it.
I definitely try to put away my phone when out with friends, out with my husband, etc. My sister is CONSTANTLY on her phone- whether FB, Twitter or reading blogs because that is part of her job----but it is really frustrating to be around.
ReplyDeleteThat being said, I love my smartphone. The ability to look up an address/store information when running errands, get directions, google, etc on the go is fantastic!
I love having access to my email - sometimes for work, sometimes for fun - whenever I want it, and I love having my iPhone for entertainment in the in-between times. But I don't understand the compulsion to be so connected to whoever is out there that you ignore the person right in front of you. None of us get to spend enough personal time as it is - why squander it?
ReplyDeleteHi Tia, I have hooked onto your blog via LG's hope you dont mind.
ReplyDeleteCell phones, yep I have one, its an old old thing that I keep in my handbag in case my teenage son breaks down or needs a lift. I have to agree with you re people attached to their phones, it drives me crazy watching people trying to have a conversation with someone while texting My son does it. I tell him its rude and I wont talk to him unless he puts the damn phone down for a few mins. I often forget to take my phone and it gets left behind. The other one that gets me is friends at home who text me while I am at home, pick up the damn phone fgs!!
The thing my phonegets used most for....its my alarm clock in the mornings lol.
kudos and huzzah!
ReplyDelete