I was totally smitten, but hesitant since I was still getting my feet wet in the dating world after ending a 4 year relationship. The real test was Valentine's Day, a mere 2 days after our first date. I sucked it up and emailed him to see if he wanted to do something - but no pressure! He was up for it and took me to a non-traditional V-day restaurant that served Korean food. It was certainly new to me, but he was happy to show the way and he showed up with a sweet little box of chocolates for me.
A lot has happened in 5 years - I moved to NY, my dad almost died and I moved home for a bit, B applied to nursing school in NY, B moved to NY, we got engaged and married, we moved back to Oregon, B got sick, B became a nurse, we bought a house, moved a hundred times, and both had a few job switches. There hasn't been any significant period of dullness in our entire relationship. We also had to learn a lot about communicating and having a successful marriage, which isn't always easy.
5 years in, there isn't anyone else I'd rather spend my days with. He makes me laugh all the time, and he makes sure I don't take myself too seriously. He's my perfect compliment. We have very different strengths and weaknesses, and those differences make us strong. We've learned so much about ourselves and each other over the past 5 years. My heart still skips a beat when I see him.
Babe - there isn't anyone I'd rather share my ice cream with, and you know that's a huge compliment since I don't like to share my ice cream with anyone :) I love you!
Powell's is seriously the best place. That's where I had my first date! (Almost two years ago.)
ReplyDeleteHappy 5 years you guys!
(Also, yay another Portlander!)
I'm a new follower through Blog Frog! :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVED coming here and finding such a great post. You guys make a cute couple!
I'll be back!
(oh, I love the "murse" description in your profile...LOVE it. So many people assume nurses are women - I think the best are men!)