Sunday, June 27, 2010

Turning 29

My 29th birthday was Friday, and what a weekend! So much to write about.

Most notably, we got an offer on the house. It was a disappointing $20k less than our asking price. We decided we're okay walking away without our down payment, so we countered at $5k more than what they offered. They have until tomorrow at noon to respond, so keep your fingers crossed.

Most of my birthday day was spent at a super boring conference for work. I skipped the last session and was happy to discover B had also gotten off of work early. He's not a fan of berry picking, but since he knew I loved it he took me to a local farm to pick some hood strawberries. Yum! The day was beautiful and sunny, and it was nice to spend some time together outside.




On Sunday (today) I turned those berries into some awesome freezer jam. I love making freezer jam because it is SO easy.
First you wash, de-stem, and mash your berries.

Next you heat the pectin, sugar, and water.

Then add the mash to the pectin/sugar mix.

Stir.

Put in freezable containers.

That's it! In less than an hour you have quite a bit of jam. For us this lasts most of the winter. It's delicious and I love knowing that we made jam from berries that we picked.

Saturday night we went to the local balloon festival. At night they light up 6 hot air balloons and there is a festival with food, a live band, rides, and random booths. It was nice because we rode our bikes there and enjoyed the summer weather. Sorry for the blurry shots - night photos are a challenge!




This weekend also included dessert out with my family, a trip to the spa with my mom (heavenly), and finding an apartment we love if we get good news tomorrow. I also helped out at the cat shelter for their annual kitten adoption event. 54 cats and kittens found new homes! All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and a very nice start to 29.

2 comments:

  1. Happy (belated) birthday!

    Sounds like a great celebration all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy birthday! I love making jam, although I haven't done so in years. It's so satisfying! And the BALLOONS! I haven't seen one in person. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete