The June issue had an article about bathing suits. The article proudly bragged about using a "plus sized" model. She's a size 12, and this was the picture they used.

I was reading it during dinner, so I quickly showed it to B and asked for his honest opinion if I was bigger or smaller than this woman. In complete honesty, there was nothing tricky behind my question. To me, this woman looks much smaller than a size 12, and I think I look a lot like her (except with bigger boobs!). If anything, I think I'm a bit bigger than her, especially in the hip region which seems to be preparing for childbirth although there is no baby in sight.
When I asked B about the size comparison, I was expecting him to agree with me that there was NO WAY that model is a size 12. I'm usually a size 8, and I felt pretty sure I was about the same size as this woman. I showed him the photo, and he quickly and honestly said "you're totally smaller than her." He said it so nonchalantly that I knew that was the complete truth. There wasn't a hint of "say smaller to make your wife feel skinny" at all.
I'll have to grab a recent photo of me when I get to my laptop, but I find this phenomenon so interesting. Do all women think they are much bigger than they really are, or is it just me? While I don't think I'm obese or anything, I could stand to lose 10lbs or so. It just seems so bizarre that my own personal vision of myself is at least 2 sizes bigger than I really am. Why is this? Am I alone in this? Why do I have such a distorted view of what I look like? While I ponder these things, I'll be sitting here, smiling, thinking about my husband inadvertently making me feel thin (even if it might be closer to reality than my view).
This is interesting. I am always certain I'm a lot bigger than I am. For a long time I had a very distorted view of myself. And now I know I'm thin, but I have this sense of myself as much bigger, stronger, bulkier - capable of carrying enormous loads. I always overestimate my size and strength.
ReplyDeleteDon't even get me started on the whole "plus sized model" myth.
ReplyDeleteSize 12 is not effing plus sized.
(blood beginning to boil) ...
But um, isn't ladies sizes done on the even numbers? So 8-10 is a difference of 1 size, not 2?
I think we tend to be harsher critics of ourselves than we are of others, and when it comes to weight and size it's hard to make sure your mental image stays in check. I've started working out to make sure I feel strong, it makes such a difference in how I feel about my body that it's not even funny- and that boosts my self confidence like crazy. I can't wait to be a toned version of myself, no matter what size I am.
ReplyDelete