Monday, October 11, 2010

Broken

That sprained ankle I mentioned in the last post? It's now housed in a large, clunky black boot. While the PA that read the X-ray said it was just a sprain, the radiologist that looked at it 3 days later clearly saw a distal lateral malleolar fracture. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I broke my ankle playing ping pong. I'm that talented. So for the last 3 days I've been hobbling around in a boot.

It's a pain in more ways than one. My hips hurt because my gait is now uneven. The outside of my ankle hurts because of the rubbing of the flat brace. I can't walk well due to the broken ankle (I usually walk to work). I can't drive easily because it's my right foot, and the brace doesn't bend to allow for driving. Each time I get in the car I have to undo the 5 velcros and put on a shoe. Each time I get out I have to put the brace back on. Chasing after my friend's toddler yesterday wasn't easy. Sleeping with a boot is uncomfortable. Needless to say all of this has made me kind of cranky.

I still don't even really know what's wrong. I have to wait for a call from the orthopedist, then set up an appointment, then find out how long I have to wear the boot. Thankfully they didn't force me to take the crutches (I'd been walking on it for almost 2 weeks), but the boot is still hard to deal with.

Enough with the whining! More Alaska this week.

3 comments:

  1. Boooo that sucks! I hope that you are not in the boot for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! That's terrible. I'm so sorry. You're totally free to whine. Also, can you ask for good drugs to ease the pain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete