Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Alaskan cruise part 1: the food

Last Friday we returned from our week long Alaskan cruise. We both came home with colds, and I have a sprained ankle from a rockin' game of cruise ping pong, so I'm a bit slow with the blogging. I'll post about the trip in parts, and today is all about the food.

Anyone who has been on a cruise knows that it's an eating fest 24/7. Buffets, 3 course meals, afternoon tea, midnight buffets, room service - it's neverending.

This was my breakfast from the morning we did the sit down breakfast. What was innocently titled "breakfast sandwich" showed up as this enormous platter of food! What a way to start the day!
P9250303

Bryan's English breakfast the same day. They also had Swedish, Irish, and Japanese breakfasts.
P9250302

One of the appetizers one night:
P9280402

Afternoon tea:
P9270370

Shrimp cocktail appetizer:
P9250296

Bryan's lamb chops one night in the dining room:
P9250298

My surf and turf in the main dining room:
P9250299

The ship had a formal, reservations-only restaurant that was a $20 surcharge. We were given 2 dinners for free with our cruise, so we went one night. At almost 3 hours, it sure was an experience! It started with 4 kinds of breads, 3 flavored butters, and 3 kinds of sea salt that were "good for your immune system." After the main meal (no photos - lobster for me, filet mignon for him), they gave us this pretty tray with our coffee accouterments and some delicious chocolate wafer things.
P9260309

We ended the fancy meal with these (3 kinds of creme brulee - chocolate, mocha, and regular; grand marnier lava cake:
P9260311
P9260310

All in all, the cruise food was decent, but it was SO SO rich. By about day 3 I was sick of looking at food and always feeling awful after eating. I made a decision to stop eating so much (do I really need a 3-course meal for lunch AND dinner??) and I felt tons better. Eating less, coupled with even a few days at the on-board gym, meant no weight gain for me. After the whopping +10lbs on our honeymoon cruise, I was quite please.

Part 2: Glacier Bay.....coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. This is what people say about cruises - food food food! Too much yummy food! So good for you for not gaining!

    ReplyDelete