Admittedly I'm someone who stretches the truth for emphasis, even when I don't need to. My commute home might have been an hour and five minutes, but I might say an hour and twelve minutes, as if the real number wasn't already super long. Or I might say I emailed someone 4 times with the same request, when it was really only 3 (still excessive). I have no idea why I do it, but I do know I never do it in a time where the exaggeration is harmful.
Yesterday I was caught in a truth stretch before I even knew it.
We are selling our house. Yes, we've only owned it since September, but with my new job I have to commute an hour. B is also thinking of going back to school, so having less debt would be great. We've also realized we really would rather use our money to travel.
I went to the paint store to get some touch-up paint for our walls. I was chatting with the guy and told him I needed the paint since we were selling. He asked why we were selling such a new house, and I told him we decided we wanted to travel the world. While not a true lie, he clearly took it as "sell everything and backpack across Europe for a year." He asked where all we were going to travel, and rather than correct him, I said "oh, parts of Europe, maybe Taiwan and Singapore, definitely S. America." Sure, we'd love to see those places, but the likelihood of making it to all of them in the near future is slim to none. I have no idea why I was stretching the truth with the paint guy, but it was harmless, and fun to dream about where we would go if we had no debt, no kitties to worry about, and money wasn't an object. Does it really matter if the paint guy thinks I'm actually going to live a free-wheeling life? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment