Monday, March 9, 2009

Starting Over - the story

About 2.5 years ago, I moved 3,000 miles away from everyone and everything I knew to go to school for my PhD. I started a blog as a way to keep in touch with friends, family, and my boyfriend. I shared that blog address with pretty much everyone, and met some great "blog friends" along the way.

Fast forward a year and a half, and that boyfriend became my husband. Along with him came his family, who really didn't like me. Although the aforementioned blog was very benign and rarely said anything controversial, every.single.post was followed by a nasty phone call/email from my new in-laws (to my husband, not to me) about how "I can't believe she said XYZ on her blog," or "I can't believe she didn't say XYZ on her blog." It completely took all of the fun out of blogging, and for the sake of my sanity and my relationship, I had to stop.

I found myself missing the writing outlet and the ability it gives me to record things that happen in my life. So a few months ago I started this blog, but I was too busy at work to give it the time it needed. I hope to be back on track now, find some of my "long lost" blog readers, and start anew. I'd like to post my daily wanderings, but I'd also like this to be a space for some friendly debate. If you're a new reader, please say hello! Just don't tell my in-laws about this blog :)

6 comments:

  1. This is why I am SO GLAD that my inlaws barely speak English. Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for letting me know you started again. :)

    (btw, don't know why I've stopped...just have)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I try to avoid all talk of family on my blog. So hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK I DEFINITELY want to get in touch with your friend in Amsterdam, but I can't figure out how to email you! Will you email me? duwaxloolu at gmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New reader here! Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete